The annual conference of SWREDA, the Southwest Regional Executive Directors Association, kicks off November 12, in San Antonio. SWREDA Chair Joe Ramos of the Alamo Area Council will provide a welcome followed by a presentation by Brian Kelsey of NADO, the National Association of Development Organizations. The title of his presentation is Do Industry Clusters Matter?
The theme of the three-day conference is CHANGE: Do we React, Respond Retire?
- Changing Demography in the Southwest Region: Dr. Mike Cline, Associate Director of the Hobby Center for the Study of Texas at Rice University, an applied research center devoted to understanding the determinants and consequences of demographic change in Texas and beyond. The title of his address is .
- Changing Workforce of the Southwest Region:Kathie Price, Workforce Investment Director, SW OK Development Authority; Janie Wheeler, Workforce Investment Director, Northwest Arkansas EDD; Don Tracy, Continuing Education, Business Operations and Marketing, Austin Community College
- Changing Political Landscape of the Southwest Region: Evan Smith, Texas Tribune (invited); Patrician Lundstrom, New Mexico legislator and former COG director;
- EDA Update: Joy Williams, U.S. Assistant secretary of Commerce for Economic Development
- Pedro Garza, Regional Director, EDA-AURO State of the Region;
- Dealing With Change, Monica Scarmado, Variate Consulting, Round Rock, Texas;